The Innovation Academy serves as an accelerator for inspiration and implementation. The Funding Scheme for student projects/activities by Tam Wing Fan Innovation Fund and Philomathia Foundation Innovation Fund (hereafter called the “funding scheme”) aims to identify, engage and nurture student projects/activities with creative potential to tackle emerging complex engineering problems in the world.
The funded projects/activities should focus on out-of-classroom learning experience with the aims of aligning with the vision and missions of the Faculty of Engineering and the Innovation Academy.
All Engineering undergraduates, taught postgraduates and InnoHub members can apply for financial support to cover the expenses incurred in the development of projects/activities, such as prototyping, testing, deployment and refining. This funding scheme should be able to support equipment, materials, consumables and other necessary expenditure incurred in the development of projects/activities.
Furthermore, they can apply for a maximum of HK$3,000 to subsidize the travel and accommodation of those participating in innovation competitions, visits and conferences; attachment to universities and institutes / centres (Mainland and overseas); laboratories and enterprises (local, mainland and overseas) to further develop their projects/activities; promotion of STEM and innovation in the community, including the Greater Bay Area; and those participating in other out-of-classroom learning activities as deemed appropriate as recommended by the Innovation Academy and Tam Wing Fan Innovation Wing.
Normally, a maximum of HK$100,000 will be funded to an individual project, subject to approval by the Innovation Academy Steering Committee.
There are two rounds of applications annually. Applicants please submit a completed form with a full budget proposal to the Innovation Academy by the deadline.
Semester 1 (AY2021/22): September 30, 2021 (Thursday)
- Semester 2 (AY2021/22): January 31, 2022 (Monday)
Assessment of application will be conducted by the Innovation Academy on the basis of:
- Objectives of the project;
- Deliverables of the project;
- Execution plan; and
- Budget proposal.
The funding will be reimbursed on an accountable basis. To facilitate enriching students’ learning experience through experiential learning, it is desirable for academic staff of departments to serve as supervisors of these students, and technical support from departments are also essential to facilitate students to go through the learning process in working on project.
Students are required to submit a project completion report with the following deliverables within one month after the completion of project:
i. Project Completion Report
Submit a report in docx. format within a month after the project completion.
ii. Media links
- Poster – dimensions of 36 inches (width) x 54 inches (height) with at least 150dpi.
- Project images – include the cover image and at least 5 project images with printable quality.
- One-minute video – a short video of project highlight.
iii. Students’ sharing
- Short written sharing from each team member of the project.
iv. The project teams will be invited to disseminate the project deliverables and outcomes through:
- Website and promotional materials of the Faculty of Engineering, Innovation Academy and/or Tam Wing Fan Innovation Wing, where appropriate.
- Presenting their work to the University community and/or the wider public.
v. Acknowledgement to the Faculty of Engineering and the respective funding source(s) on the poster, images, videos, written reports or other written publications should be made.
The funding provided for each successful application will vary according to the expenses incurred. In general, the following item(s) will be supported, subject to approval by the Innovation Academy and/or the Faculty of Engineering.
Inventory items (e.g. equipment, AV or PC items, etc.):
- The funding for equipment will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Applicants should provide detailed justifications on the usage of the equipment on their application. In general, equipment are items with an asset value greater than HK$15,000, and/or items above HK$5,000 but of an attractive nature, such as AV and PC items.
- The applicants are required to submit the application with all necessary supporting documents, such as item descriptions and quotations. The Innovation Academy and Tam Wing Fan Innovation Wing will be responsible for the procurement of the items, if appropriate. Applicants are not required to make any purchase/procurement.
- Please observe the following guidelines for the cost limits and required procedures for inventory items:
- For cost $15K or below: Minimum 2 competitive quotations are required.
- $15K to $30K>$5K but of an attractive nature: Minimum 2 competitive written quotations are required.
- >$30K to $150K: Minimum 3 competitive written quotations are required, with at least 1 from HKU’s Registered Supplier List.
Non-Inventory items (e.g. consumables):
- Essential operational expenses may be considered. In general, project materials and consumables are supported.
- Any kinds of catering will not be supported by the funding scheme.
- Applicants should follow the University’s guidelines and provide justifications for reimbursing expenses for non-inventory items.
Subsidy for student travel and accommodation:
- Airfare (including HK Airport Tax)
- Intended to cover the most direct routes from Hong Kong to the destination.
- Eligible class of air travel: Round-trip Economy Class ticket with the lowest fare.
- Any additional costs for stopovers for personal reasons will not be covered. Quotation(s) of airfare from travel agent for the most direct route for the trip should be provided for comparison purpose.
- Domestic transportation expenses to and from the airport are reimbursable.
- Hotel accommodation (room cost only)
- Intended to cover appropriate standard of accommodation from the night following arrival at the destination up to and including the night before the departure from the destination (but excluding any overnight stay for personal reasons).
- Quotation(s) of room rates from travel agent / hotel should be provided for comparison purpose.
- Meals are not covered in this funding scheme.
- Applicants are advised to seek advice from their supervisor before submitting their application.
- Quotations by HK-based suppliers and vendors are highly recommended.
- Original copy of receipt(s), invoice(s), quotation(s), copy of e-tickets(s), etc., should be provided in the application and reimbursement processes. If the applicant fails to present the original copy of relevant documents, the Innovation Academy may not be able to process the reimbursement.
- Proof for foreign currency translations (e.g. money exchange vouchers, credit card statements, etc.) should be provided, or else the relevant market rate published by the Hong Kong Association of Banks, where applicable, will be applied for reimbursement purpose.