“How to make a VR game with Unity?”
In this workshop, you will learn about the basics of using Unity Engine and how to build a VR game using the official Unity package XR-interaction toolkit. The XR Interaction Toolkit package is a high-level, component-based, interaction system for creating VR and AR experiences. Games built can be deployed in various VR/AR devices such as HTC VIVE, HoloLens, Oculus, etc. The workshop will serve as a brief introduction to how you can setup an Oculus VR Headset, develop a simple VR game on Unity via XR-interaction toolkit and deploy it onto the Oculus device.
Date: October 11 (Tuesday) and 13 (Thursday), 2022
Time: 2:30pm – 5:00pm
Venue: Digital Learning Studio, Tam Wing Fan Innovation Wing One, HKU
Instructors: Mr Jerry Tam, Department of Computer Science, HKU
Eligibility: All Engineering students are welcome to join.
Quota: A limited quota of 20 will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis. Prior knowledge on Unity and basic coding concepts would be great but not essential.
- Participants will have to bring their own computer for running Unity in the workshop.
- Please install Unity Hub via the following link and install the Long Term Support version 2020.3 beforehand.
- Please also install Android Studio 2020.3.1 or newer beforehand.
- Instructions for installing Unity Hub and Unity 2020.3 are as follows: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/104sILPHt2ixr00XppBcXk1xA2_kZPqkYmSLqXyCzaDI/edit?usp=sharing
Day 1 (October 11)
- Setup development environment for Oculus Quest 2 VR headset
- Deploy a simple app onto Oculus Quest 2
- Learn about the basic functionalities of Unity
- Implement simple VR interactions in Unity
Day 2 (October 13)
- Learn how to do simple C# coding in Unity
- Learn how to implement basic AI navigation in Unity